Search form


Please note that at Northwestern University, some 300 level courses are approved for graduate credit, and some are not. Only 300 level courses that are approved for graduate credit may be used to fulfill these requirements. A list of courses approved for graduate credit can be found on the Graduate School website.

• At least 5 and not more than 6 ART 499 Independent Studies

To ensure that students study with a full range of graduate faculty over the course of their residency and do not narrow their interaction to only a few professors, the department assigns all independent studies, matching each student with a different professor from quarter to quarter. Your assigned independent study is a course and you are required to have regular meetings with your independent study advisor each quarter. Each faculty member handles these meetings slightly differently and there will be variations among the graduate faculty regarding frequency and length of meetings, preferred methods of arranging appointments, and sometimes even where the appointments take place and the range of topics that might be discussed.

• ART 423 Visual Artist’s Writing Practicum

Students are required to enroll in this course during their second year, but may take the class for credit during their first year as well.

• 5 A,T,P, courses at the 300 or 400-level

These include ART 372 Seminar, ART 382 Studio/Seminar, ART 390 Studio, ART 422 Graduate Critique, ART 423 Visual Artist’s Writing Practicum, and ART 425 Graduate Seminar each of which may be taken multiple times.

• 4 art history, theory or criticism courses, 2 of which must be ART 372 Seminar or ART 382 Studio/Seminar

2 of these courses must be ART 372 or ART 382. The additional two courses may also be ART 372 or ART 382, or they may be many courses offered by other departments. This includes any 300 or 400-level course in the Department of Art History, or many history, theory and criticism courses offered by other departments.

• At least 2 and no more than 3 electives

This requirement can be fulfilled through courses within A,T,P, or in any other department at Northwestern.

For any questions, please consult with the Director of Graduate Studies, Lane Relyea.